Subject: La Boheme from the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:24:46 -0500

as heard on WQXR.

I didn't hear the quiz, and after reading the comments, I'm
kind of wishing I had. Wow! How bad could it have been?

You just can't ruin Boheme. It's "pretty near" a perfect opera,
even a perfect length.

No one was awful and no one was a stand out; it moved along,
and it had its affecting moments.

Fabiano is in trouble, and not only at the very top. In Act 3,
there were several highish notes that sounded more like
gargled than sung. One really got away badly.. But he mostly
sings with lovely tone and line. Corrective measures are in
order, as soon as possible.

Perez is a lovely singer with really good tops, but not much in
the middle, and some very suspect intonation in the lower
ranges. It's, overall, a modest talent.

Sounds awful, doesn't it, but it really wasn't. They all know the
music and they all played their parts pretty well. The conducting
was fine and I think it helped make the afternoon better than it
might have otherwise been.

You just can't ruin Boheme!

Bob