Subject: Re: La Forza del Destino
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:24:07 -0800

Adding to the other Max’s comments, I think the “disjointed” and off balance aspects of the work are very deliberate and make it one of the most strikingly innovative works Verdi did.  I think that, like several more recent books and movies, Verdi and Piave challenged the audience to put together the discordant elements in their own minds and psyches, rather than wrapping it up for them. It’s also possibly, on that very account, one of the most difficult to get across in a way that realizes its innate power and impact. It takes scenery, direction, subtlety as well as power in the singers’ interpretations and the right kind of conducting to tie these strands into a coherent statement.

It doesn’t have to be a “traditional” production. I felt I gained tremendous insight into the real nature of the opera (and was overall very powerfully impressed) when I saw the Kusej Munich production, now out on DVD and Blu-Ray. Although I have to say that, having watched the original telecast online, there were many things that made sense to me in the theater that hadn’t watching it at home. In particular, Harteros and Kaufmann had the acting ability as well as the vocal capability to really convince.

One talks of terms like “epic” and “sprawling” and it seems to reflect influence of the Russian operas of the 19th Century. I don’t think that the fact that it was premiered in St. Petersburg influenced anything particularly “Russian” about the opera, but I do think that it freed Verdi and Piave from a number of the conventions that would have been put on them if the premier had taken place either in Paris or Milan. I think the result is brilliant but not all that easy to grasp. However, I don’t think it takes much to grasp the beauty and power of the music, particularly the Convent Scene or the exquisite final scene (referring to the Milan ending usually performed - I have the Gergiev recording but haven’t really familiarized myself with the St. Petersburg ending).

Max Paley