Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanovsky
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:52:47 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>     I simply do not believe Mr. Gelb's claim of  "cost-cutting" as the
> reason for the cancellation of this production.  God  knows the abortion
> Bieito
> must have conceived and intended to inflict upon  opera audiences, but
> either the English National Opera or Mr. Gelb wasn't buying  it.

The Met's budget woes are amply documented. I am sure *that* part of it was
true. The fact that it was replaced, not with an opera, but with concert
performances of the Requiem, is telling.

But Gelb had six new positions on the docket; he could have cancelled any
one of them. He chose *this* one.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY