Re: Counter inauguration

Jean Scarr <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Jan 2017 10:55:49 -0500

text/plain

Thanks, Bob, for your reminder to the list regarding its purpose. There are many forums available to discuss the many issues of today's society. Can we not just discuss opera and closely related topics on this list? Jean

-----Original Message-----
From: kos <[log in to unmask]>
To: OPERA-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Jan 13, 2017 4:34 pm
Subject: Re: Counter inauguration

> The idea that anything other than opera is "off topic" has always bothered
> me. We are complex and, generally, intelligent individuals and I am
> interested in knowing what other opera-lers think on a wide range of topics
> including politics.

Once an email list departs from its intention or purpose, then its reason for
existing ceases. *You* may be interested in hearing subscribers' opinion on any
number of topics. I certainly am not and I think many others feel the same.

On Facebook it's easy to move away from opera and talk about anything under the sun
(such as politics) outside of the group. But that flexibility doesn't exist on
an email list. Off list activity is the more appropriate venue for topics
that do not pertain to the list's stated purpose.

The more you talk about matters irrelevant to the list, the more irrelevant the
list becomes, because it's more like a clique of individuals, rather than an
open discussion. It inhibits others from joining and alienates those who are
not part of that clique.

I certainly have strong opinions about many topics, including politics. But I
also believe I have the self-discipline and respect for others not to use
OPERA-L as a personal salon where any topic is appropriate. With the vast
spread of social media it's easy to find places where you can discuss anything.

So I ask all of you to show that same respect for other subscribers and remember
that OPERA-L is only for "discussion of opera and related topics."

blog: http://www.nypl.org/blog/author/44 Twitter: @kos2
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users