Subject: Re: Am I late to the Fair?
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 1 Jan 2017 21:56:03 -0500

Speaking of Mahler, the tenor music followed by the chorus in the Mahler 8th on the words

"Blicket auf" has always reminded me of the beginning notes of the Christmas song Silver

Bells. I felt this from the first time I heard the Mahler at Tanglewood many years ago  and

do so every time I hear the work.  I almost feel like singing Silver Bells when I come to that

point.  Obviously I don't and the Mahler 8th is a deeply moving piece which I love very much.

Of course the Merry Widow appearance in the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra is well known

as being intentional.

Angelo from Boston