Subject: Re: Nabucco in HD This Afternoon
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Jan 2017 23:22:13 -0500

Thank you very much, Idia.  I’m very sorry you missed today’s HDbroadcast of “Nabucco.”
I am very fortunate to be able to ride the subway to either of the two theaters in D.C.
that offer the Met’s HD performances, and as I live a block from the subway through an
underground garage, weather is never a problem for me.  I do hope you are able to make
the Encore performance.  Incredibly, I had never heard of (or probably not paid attention
to) these Encore performances, so I went ahead and bought a ticket for Wednesday as
well.

Many thanks also to Sue Harrison for her reply.  Since the Encore performance is
scheduled for most people’s dinner hour, I hope I will not have to endure a repeat of what
happened to me when I saw “Nabucco” at the Baltimore Opera in the early 1990s.  The
two women seated on my left had actually smuggled their dinner into the Lyric Theater in
a couple of large leather bags  — this was in the halcyon days when you could go
anywhere without being searched — and as soon as the house lights went out and the
music began, they pulled out bags of southern fried chicken, coleslaw, potato chips, all
the noisiest foods you could imagine, and chowed down.  The noises, the smells, it was
awful, argghhhh !

When at intermission I complained to the Head Usher, instead of expelling these women
who had violated every house rule, they moved me —*me!* — to an inferior seat and
made no attempt whatsoever to admonish those women.  I never returned to the
Baltimore Opera again.

What is it with “Nabucco” and food ???

Back to today’s performance, I completely agree with Bob Rideout that Plácido Domingo
is not a Verdi baritone, and I was prepared on Dec. 19 to dislike his performance, but
both on Dec. 19 and today I was moved to tears by the energy and sheer humanity
radiating from his performance and by the way he poured out his soul and his guts.  Yes,
he gave it his all, and while a true Verdi baritone could have given a “better” vocal
performance, the “totality” of the performance was amazing, especially for a man of 75.
Maybe it was an ego trip for him -- ¿ quién sabe ? -- but I can deal with more ego trips of
the same kind.

Paul Ferraro, I think it was, noted correctly that Belosselskiy’s top was strained and his
bottom gargled.  I noticed this too, but it only happened, if I recall correctly, a couple of
times, but I also heard some lovely notes out of him, and none of the above prevented
me from having a *great time* because there was so much more in today’s matinée that
was wonderful (except for the rugelach or whatever).

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.