Subject: Re: Nabucco from the Met as heard on WQXR
From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Jan 2017 17:44:37 -0600

This afternoon I saw the HD broadcast of Nabucco and generally enjoyed it.
Agree with Bob on the bass but I have to stand up for Domingo. It is true
that his voice is not right for the part, too tenorish, but he seemed
theatrically involved and I am one of those who appreciates a singer
"acting". The opera is wonderful and if nothing else the performance today
opened it up for me. Had a bit of a problem with the Abigaille feeling that
the voice didn't really come together but seemed  to have several separate
voices that she was not able to move from thru with ease. Jamie Barton is a
treasure and it's sad that there is so little music for her. The tenor who
sang Ismaele was also a wonderful surprise. It would not have been nearly
as exciting without the chorus that Verdi wrote so well for.
Gordon