Subject: Today's Nabucco
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Jan 2017 18:27:20 -0500

Although completely miscast with a timbre unsuitable for Verdi baritone roles, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the singing of PD.  It was quite obvious at times that Jimmy L. was cutting him lots of slack, but he managed to get through the part fairly well, considering his age.

The “stars” were: Levine, the Met chorus & orchestra & Jaime Barton’s singing of her arietta... when will the Met bring back La Favorita for her & Messrs. Camarena & Polenzani (whoops, forgot need an excellent baritone to round up the cast).  I thought Ludmilla M. good-to-very good & did not embarrass herself in this killer role.

Belosselsky, a Slavic Basso with a strained/pushed top & gargled/gagged  low notes, was a disgrace to his ethnicity – doesn’t Yvgeny Nesterenko do any coaching???.

DonPaolo