Subject: Re: Fwd: Patti Smith's 10 Favorite Operas
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Jan 2017 01:38:10 +0000

I agree with your assessment of Pinkerton the character and his music. IMO, Pinkerton truly loved Butterfly but did not accept the fact that, in those days, a mixed marriage would not be tolerated in the US or the Military. I think Butterfly finally understands his predicament and believes he truly loved her, which is why she decided to give him their child. The fact that she killed herself, is the fault of the inscription on the sword, which placed unfair shame on her.