Subject: Fwd: Patti Smith's 10 Favorite Operas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Jan 2017 20:19:26 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: Patti Smith's 10 Favorite Operas
To: tom frey <[log in to unmask]>

I may be alone in thinking that Pinkerton is unjustly maligned.
The fact that the role is from first note to last one of the most
beautiful ever composed for the tenor voice may be a clue as
to how the composer thought of him.   It is a mistake to see
Butterfly as a victim; she was raised to be exactly what a horny
young naval lieutenant would be looking for thousands of miles
from home.   Her tragedy is that she is smitten by him and
succumbs to an adolescent 'crush" that blinds her to the path
toward lasting happiness with a man who truly loves her: Yamadori.
There was simply no way that Pinkerton could have deserted his
tour of duty and settled down as an authentic husband  to a teen
age "bride" in a foreign land, at that time.   Nothing suggests that
he treats with anything but warmth and respect under those
circumstances.

dtmk