Subject: Re: Patti Smith's 10 Favorite Operas
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Jan 2017 19:21:22 -0500

through some 70 years of opera going and listening I have changed opinions back and fore about many operas that I once thought I hated. Namely Faust, Madam Butterfly, Carmen, Otello and oceans of Wagner. All this animus came from performances that I endured that blinded me from the true beauty of the music. Currently , I don't like Tosca. Not that it doesn't have some wonderful moments. But I just don't like the plot. My stand against Butterfly came for hatred towards Pinkerton. The nastiest villain in opera no matter who is singing the role. But the music is irresistible. Later in life I was privileged to sing in the chorus  of Parsifal, and Tristan  and Lohegrin which gave me some appreciation for the music
+