Subject: Re: RIP American soprano LINDA KELM
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Jan 2017 20:07:19 +0000

I was at one of her Turandot performances at HGO, which I think took place in 1982, but I could be off by a bit.  She was a last-minute replacement for Roberta Knie who dropped out of the production after the prima.  I remember the Houston Chronicle article about the substitution had the subtitle "Soprano has sung Turandot before," which in itself was not particularly inspiring but she turned out to be quite wonderful.  I haven't been to Rudi's website yet, but there is a surviving performance of Turandot with her where they sing the complete Alfano ending, which was a revelation after the many times I have heard the truncated ending.  (There is also a Decca CD, also included in the recent 55-CD set of recitals, that reportedly has Josephine Barstow singing the complete Alfano ending.)
When I was in Seattle for the Ring in 2013, there were a number of photographs of prior Rings in the lobby, and there was a photo of Mme. Kelm singing the immolation scene.  I don't know if she sang the whole Ring or just Götterdämmerung.  I believe the performances took place in the late 1970s or the early 1980s.
She sang a single Siegfried Brünnhilde at the Met in 1988 as well as six performances of Turandot in the parks around NYC in the summer of that year.  There are pirates of her singing Helmwige and the Third Norn in Seattle in 1980, and she was Helmwige in the Met recording of Walküre from 1987.
Her career was relatively short, and I believe that I have read that that was by choice, and that she really didn't want a big operatic career.  Others may have better information than I do.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!