Subject: Re: "Anything You Can Do ... "
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 1 Jan 2017 08:40:41 -0500

Tom,

I thought she started "When you walk through a Storm" too - but recovered
so seamlessly I was questioning what I had actually heard.  Thanks for
confirming.  I enjoyed the "Anything You Can Do..." as well waiting for her
to interpolate a big fat trill, which she did.  I don't agree about the
language issue with Simionato and Bastianini, - their assault on spoken
English is what makes their version definitive and irreplaceable  On the
other hand, Paolo Szot's heavily accented "Soliloquy" did Hammerstein no
favors and the characterization, so important in this piece, was all over
the place.  "Some Enchanted Evening" would have been a better choice for
him.

Steve