Subject: Re: Del Monaco as Pinkerton at the Met
From: charles mintzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Jan 2017 14:07:05 -0500

I was present at the Gala; looking at the database entry, some things I noted: I forgot that Pietro Cimara conducted that act of “Butterfly”; he goes way, way back at both the Met and Chicago. I also forgot that there was a “Fledermaus” Act II concert, but now I do remember Victoria with her guitar. I remember del Monaco looking great in his white naval uniform. I recall, and that was 50 years ago, there was some “buzz” about the unlikely role of Pinkerton for MdM. Just some random memories. Since I am rambling, there was a gala in 1954 with the second act of “Traviata” with the Toscanini cast, The Closet Scene from "Don Carlo" with Steber, Thebom, Merrill, Hines (Philip) and Hans Hotter as the Inquisitor, and to this day when people ask me who made the greatest acting impression on me in almost 65 years of opera going, I have to say Hans Hotter, such magnificent carriage. Also there was the third act of “Rigoletto” with the standard Met cast of that time, Peters, Tucker, and Warren. Just to recall that day, the matinee which I also attended was “Norma” with Milanov, Thebom Penno and Siepi. Penno’s voice still rings in my ears, huge!
Charles Mintzer