Subject: Re: Del Monaco as Pinkerton at the Met
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:27:47 -0800

While I don't always love the unrelenting forte singing he often offered, often the sheer virility and impact is undeniably exciting. I think a role that brought this out well was Calaf in the Decca "Turandot." That recording gets overlooked. The multi-layered textures of the score present one of the few cases that needed more than Decca's 1955 stereo recording techniques could provide, but aside from a very decent and interesting Turandot from Borkh and a wonderfully opulent Liu from Tebaldi, that recording has real strength in the magnificent singing of the Santa Cecilia chorus.

With Del Monaco, as discussed here with Pinkerton, that sheer testosterone in the voice can be startling in roles not usually associated with him. While it's not the recording I'd turn to as a reference, his effect is really striking as the Duke in the 1954 "Rigoletto" (the stereo tapes never released).

Max Paley