Subject: Re: Robert Tuggle tribute - Dorothy Kirsten and Mario Del Monaco film
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Jan 2017 00:22:45 +0000

I am not so sure that Mario would have drowned out Kirsten in the final note of the Butterfly duet. She held her own, in late career with Corelli on TV, in the Boheme duet. Dorothy did sing Manon, Louise, Micaela, Marguerite, Viioletta, Juliet and Rosalinda at the Met. You are correct though that Puccini roles are those she sang the most. I happened to be at the Tosca one Saturday night when she came out of retirement to replace someone who cancelled due to illness. I think Kirsten was near 70 that night, and she was vocally excellent, as was Bergonzi and MacNeil who were not youngsters either. You can see some of the performance on You Tube. What is especially touching is the curtain call when Carlo and MacNeil walked her to the front of the stage so she could receive the well deserved applause, as they walked off the stage, or back to the curtain. Kirsten was a great vocal technician who got the most out of her less than opulent, though lovely voice.