Subject: Re: Del Monaco
From: Kurt Youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Jan 2017 18:12:27 -0600

When the Met Butterfly came to Chicago in '58 the tenor was Bergonzi. Del Monaco sang Samson.

 I'm away from home at the moment so don't have access to my database so I have to rely on my increasingly failing memory. But I'm quite certain that I have some of his singles from as early as '47 and, possibly, '41. He sings all the standard arias that most tenors recorded.

Based on the Boheme recording I have, I'd have to say that his Rodolfo is very heavy handed. But, for me, his Otello, Canio and Chenier were definitive.

As for the Butterfly duet with Kirsten, I'm quite certain it was from a TV program, possibly Ed Sullivan. Or, something in the back of my mind tells me, from a program in San Francisco. It was common at the time to cut a lot of music to appease the typical viewer.

Kurt Youngmann
Sent from my iPad/