Subject: Re: Robert Tuggle tribute - Dorothy Kirsten and Mario Del Monaco film
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:13:22 -0500

Filmed opera excerpts from this era, presumably of TV origin, almost always
are a trial to watch.  Kirsten sounds lovely but her matronly appearance
in unforgiving close-up, is distracting, and from Del Monaco I hear
the usual charmless rant.  Thank heaven for Toti Dal monte and
Beniamino Gigli whose perfection in their recording of MADAMA
BUTTERFLY has never been
surpassed.   I have never regarded Pinkerton as a less than major tenor
role.  The Love Duet is an extended one, and the scene with Sharpless
can be thrilling as a tenor showcase even before the soprano's entrance.
Then there is a superb trio and his final aria still to savor.

dtmk