Subject: Re: Caballe's Lucia (was Re: Caruso's Trill)
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Dec 2016 13:28:40 -0500

Moffo never, ever referred to that performance - I met her several times in
the mid-70s (she wanted to write a memoir but had no idea how to and I was
working as a book editor at the time) and while she talked about her nose
job and how her voice "changed" with menopause, there was no acknowledgment
of frailty or drug use or illness. I suspect the book would have been a
glossy puff job - she was married to the head of NBC (I believe) at the
time and had appearances to keep up. She was quite heavy at the time and
joked about it, but was still glamotous beyond compare.
She was the loveliest Violetta I've ever heard and some of her recordings -
the Luisa Miller, even the too-light Butterfly - retain their special place
in my heart. When she was good....
Bob