Subject: Re: Always the maverick
From: Bob Hadfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:31:53 -0500

I agree with you.  i attended the performance last night also, sitting in the
fourth row center of the Dress Circle. I've always been kind of luke warm about
Patricia Racette and was a little disappointed when i read that she would
substitute for Naglstadt.  That said, I did enjoy her Butterfly a few years ago and
i was very pleasantly surprised last night.  in fact I found her voice sounding
quite beautiful and "silvery" especially in the first part of the opera during her
wheedling of Narraboth and  her confrontation with John the Baptist.  I didn't
feel there was much if any "wobble' and her voice sounded to me focussed,
nuanced and in tune throughout the performance. She did not ever seem to be
"saving herself" for the finale. The finale itself was just a little outside her best
singing comfort zone I thought.  But it was in tune if a little under powered. It
was not overwhelming as i think all audiences want it to be.  Dramatically she
was very good.  I thought her dance was excellent, perhaps the best I've seen.
I don't believe that I've ever heard a great Salome live, ( my favorite is the
Caballe recording) but I thought Racette deserved her ovation in every respect.
I was also pleased with Nancy Fabiola Herrera as Herodias.  I had not read any
positive reviews of her earlier performances, so i was very happy with her
singing last night.  All Herods tend to sound the same to me, hectoring and
unmusical and Gerhard Siegel was not an exception.  His acting was perfectly
fine though.  I've now heard Greer Grimsley twice.  To my ears, he is a far
better Jochanaan than a Dutchman.  His voice sounded a little stentorian and
colorless to me and he did not create a particularly sexy or charismatic figure.
The amplification system used for his several utterances from the cistern is a
disaster and should be reconsidered.  The worst I've heard in any theater.  The
orchestra sounded great and i liked the production for the most part.  All in all a
fine evening