Subject: Caballe's Lucia (was Re: Caruso's Trill)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:17:18 -0500

Patrick Byrne wrote:

"Caballe's attempt at a recorded Lucia was ghastly.

Actually, I think parts of Caballe's Lucia are sung more beautifully than by
any other singer on record.  "Regnava nel silenzio" and "Soffriva nel
pianto" are exquisite, as is much of the Mad Scene.  Let's not forget that
most of the role lies smack in the middle and upper-middle of the soprano
register.  But her stripping the music of almost all ornamentation, not to
mention the by-now expected high notes, makes the over-all effect rather
tame and lackluster.  Hers is certainly not my favorite recording of Lucia,
but it has its moments and I would certainly not describe it as "ghastly."  (I
would reserve that word to describe Anna Moffo's 1969 broadcast of Lucia.)

Modify your settings: