Subject: Re: Am I late to the Fair?
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Dec 2016 11:50:16 -0500

Likewise, it should be noted that the melody for "I Have A Love" actually appears earlier in
the duet -

Anita sings it first -
"(a boy who) kills cannot love"

Then repeated by Maria in the same way -
"(it isn't) true, not for me"

And then, as the 2 start to sing together, Maria develops the melody further -
"(but my) heart knows they're wrong
and my heart is too strong"

All which will finally reveal itself as "I Have A Love" shortly after.

And - even before that, the cell of the melody appears orchestrally in the Act II dream
ballet, right after "Somewhere," appearing as a flute countermelody to the 2-note
"Somewhere" theme in the english horn. This section of music also gets repeated at the
end of the show. (At 4:47 on this clip.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekn-t900AA

And, one more thing (because the construction of the score is so damned incredible, lol) -
the climax of the opening phrases of "I Have A Love" make use of the tritone that
permeates the score as a constant harmonic tension - on "wrong" of "right or wrong, what
else can I do," the chord is an Eb major chord over an A in the bass. Even as Maria tries to
explain her unconditional love for Tony, the tension in that tritone keeps reminding us that
this love is doomed.

West Side Story may not be an opera in pure definition, though I have heard occasionally
that Bernstein did refer to it early on in the writing as "my opera." In any case,
compositionally speaking, it's as musically sophisticated as many of the great operas we
all love and revere.

End of today's theory lesson, lol.

Happy new year, all! ;-)