Subject: Re: Salomea Kruscelnicka
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Dec 2016 15:19:18 -0600

> On Dec 30, 2016, at 2:51 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Her name is spelled about a bazillion different ways…
> Like you, Kurt, I own none .of her recordings, though I have heard
> a number over the course of time, and she is most impressive!

Based on Bob’s pointing out various spellings of her name, I checked again on my database using her first name and came up with a single entry in my collection: a 1906 recording of “Da che tutta mi son data” from Catalani’s “Loreley.” It’s included in a CD I have called “Great Voices at Teatro Regio in Turin” with selections of singers who appeared there in recordings beginning Tamagno in 1903. I have loaded this onto my iPod for listening on my upcoming trip.

Also included on the disc is “Si, mi chiamano Mimi” sung be Cesira Ferrani (1902) who created the role of Mimi. (According to our late friend, Andy Karzas, very few original Puccini role creators were recorded in those roles). Rosina Storchio, the first Cio-Cio-San, sings from “Don Pasquale” (1906).

I don’t believe in miracles, but the fact that we can still listen to the voices of the late 1800s and early 1900s is as close to miraculous as it gets.

Kurt Youngmann

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Modify your settings: