Subject: Salomea Kruscelnicka
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Dec 2016 15:51:21 -0500

Her name is spelled about a bazillion different ways. Charles Mintzer
has several autographed pictures and once told me how she spelled
it, which I no longer remember. Perhaps he will educate all of us, with
my thanks.

Both Poland and the Ukraine claim her, since she was born in
Galicia, and its borders have been very movable over the course
of time.

She was an enormously famous singer, much more celebrated for
heroic roles than the lyric or litico/spinto rep.

She sang Isolde and the other dramatic Wagner heroines in many
theaters, including Scala and the major theaters in Buenos Aires.
My rudimentary German leads me to believe that she sang both
the Scala premieres of "Salome" and Elektra.

Like you, Kurt, I own none .of her recordings, though I have heard
a number over the course of time, and she is most impressive!

Bob