Subject: Re: Dal Monte as Butterfly
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Dec 2016 16:45:20 -0500

Toti dal Monte sang Cio Cio San in at least 30 revivals, and without
an exact count, around 100 times, maybe more, including most of
Italy's important theaters and others outside Italy.

I consider her recording the most affecting of all, excepting Scotto with
Bergonzi,  and when I hear the tird act, I can never decide which
is the more heartbreaking. Leontyne Price has the most gleaming voice in
the role, but she can't hold a candle to the other two in expressing the
emotions of the role. You are not alone in disliking Toti, and I am not
alone
in thinking her close to defining in the role.

She was a remarkable singer. "Flammen perdonami, non pianger piu"
is, perhaps, the most emotionally gripping phrase I have ever heard.

To her memory!

Bob