Subject: Dal Monte as Butterfly
From: Wadeworks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Dec 2016 16:25:44 -0500

The discussions of Moffo and having a voice one size too small for Butterfly,
at least in 1957, reminded me of the whole "baby doll" approach to
Butterfly as represented by the casting of Toti dal Monte as Butterfly in the
commercial recording with Gigli.  That to me is just a voice 5 times too
small for the part and an approach that is almost insulting to the
character.  Yes I understand the age of the character at the time of her
marriage, but the part just calls for more heft regardless, certainly not
appropriate to a 1920-30s Italian soubrette.  Could she actually make it
thru a complete performance on stage or was it just a "role du disque"?
While I wouldn't want to hear a Caniglia performance (don't need a sledge
hammer), there must have been somebody more in the lyrico-spinto area
who could have handled it better.  Always was curious about that.