Subject: Re: Caruso's Trill (was Re: BEWARE of CD "The Lost Art of the Trill")
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:42:46 -0500

Bob Rideout wrote:

"It's documented on Google, and there are 29 selections, not one from
the LP era. No Callas, Sills or Sutherland, which is kind of silly.
Pol Plancon, Schumann Heink, Ponselle with two,Tiana Lemnitz, whom
I have never associated with a great trill, Selma Kurz, of course, Josef
Schmidt, Leon Escalais, and Marcella Sembrich are among the luminaries."

Thank you for that Google recommendation.  I found a listing, and while I would not argue
with any of the singers included, I would question what to me is a glaring omission: Nellie
Melba, whose trill was one of the very best ever.  If space were reason for the omission, I
think we could have done with just one of either Kurtz or Ponselle.  Of the latter, I think the
Ernani trill is the most spectacular, although the Trovatore aria trills show how deftly she
could insert them in the vocal line.

Incidentally, the high proportion of French males with great trills is something that has
always struck me about French vocal pedagogy of that time.  The men trilled as easily and
expertly as the women.  Obviously, it was something that was just expected as part of vocal
training in France.  In Italy, not so much.

Modify your settings: