Subject: Re: Caruso's Trill (was Re: BEWARE of CD "The Lost Art of the Trill")
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:05:00 -0500

If I were interested in sampling a collection of recorded trills, I think
the
Malibran recording would probably serves the purpose.  By offering enough
of each selection to give an idea what the trill sounds like in context,
which
I assume is what they have done, there must have been room for a great
number of varied and surprising examples.  How many complete arias or
songs with an isolated trill or two could any single disc accomodate?

The voice of Caruso set against a modern orchestra recording was an idea
first tried in the 1930s, but I think it remains only moderately
successful. The two different techniques just don't seem to mesh
persuasively.

About 25 or so years ago, when I was in charge of the music to be played
through speakers above a set of Xmas windows on 5th avenue,  I selected
Caruso's "Che gelida manina", unenhanced, as an accompaniment to the
scene from LA BOHEME which occupied the window, complete with a small
costumed figure of the tenor.  The result, heard over a steady stream of
street traffic, was startlingly realistic, sounding like a "live" Caruso
battling
the vehicular competition.

I don't know what of Lemnitz was featured on the Malibran compilation, but
if it is the trill that caps Torsten Ralf's Preislied from Covent Garden in
1937,
hasn't that always been considered one of the most exquisite ever heard?
If it doesn't come over that way via Google, they must have bungled it.
Even
if she was only able to do it that one time, it established an indelible
association for me.

dtmk