Subject: Re: MUSIC BUT NOT OPERA: THE JINGLE BELLS WARS :)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Dec 2016 11:01:51 -0500

It was "One Horse Open Sleigh" when I was a kid, and we sang it at the
first sign of cold weather and well after Xmas too, when snow is more
likely to fall. How it ever came to be labelled  a "Xmas Carol" is a
narrative of misuse, misconception, and commercialization.  So much for the
Medford "Jingle Bells" controversy; it's all invented.

Other examples: "Winter Wonderland",  "Baby, It's Cold Outside",  "Let It
Snow", and especially Anderson's "Sleigh Ride" with its complex narrative
and loony lyrics by someone named Parish - the only birthday it mentions is
"at the house of farmer Gray: I love it, anytime.

My OED defines carol as any song of a "joyous nature" usually sung by a
group or "ring" of celebrants,  but I would say that the titles
specifically meant for the Christmas season, like Adeste Fidelis, O Holy
Night,  Hark, the Herald Angels, and so on, are actually church hymns;
 maybe that's why so many of them are being replaced by the jauntier stuff
we usually hear now only during the "holidays".  "Jingle Bells" makes more
sense after a February blizzard than on a soggy Christmas Eve.

Cheers,

dtmk