Subject: Zinka at Christmas Lunch Today
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Dec 2016 18:42:52 -0500

I fixed Zinka Milanov's Green Beans for Christmas lunch today.  They were divine, at about
800 calories per serving, with a high fabulosity factor.  They also provided an excuse for me
to regale the table with Zinka stories, which were enjoyed by all, none of whom had heard
of Zinka Milanov before.  They will remember her now.

From  "Opera Stars in the Sun" by Mary Jane Phillips-Matz here is the recipe (as told by
Zinka herself):

"For green beans: a pound and a half of string beans are cooked until tender
in fast-boiling water.  In a separate pan we melt a quarter-pound of butter
over a slow fire, then add two tablespoons of breadcrumbs and let them
brown.  To this you add a big half-bunch of parsley leaves and a crushed,
pounded clove of garlic.  Mix the herbs with the buttered breadcrumbs, then
combine the mixture with the boiled green beans.  Put it all in a Pyrex
baking dish, pour a half-cup of sour cream over the top and put it in a
moderate oven for fifteen minutes.  THOSE, those are GOOD green beans."

Heart attack to follow.

(I topped the green beans and sour cream with more buttered bread crumbs to make a
crunchy top.)

Merry Christmas to all!

Modify your settings: