Subject: Re: ARTISTS' EVENTS ON CHRISTMAS DAY
From: Mark Schubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Dec 2016 10:13:13 -0500

The "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" editorial appeared in The
Sun in New York City on September 21, 1897.

More than twenty years earlier, on March 30, 1877, the same newspaper
published a description of something called an "electroscope" (though
not the current meaning of that word).  It was actually the earliest
known published account, in any language, of anything that might be
considered television, and it included this sentence:

"Both telephone and electroscope applied on a large scale would render
it possible to represent at one time on a hundred stages in various
parts of the world the opera... sung... in any given theatre."

Happy 10th anniversary of The Metropolitan Opera: Live in HD on December 30!
Happy 140th anniversary of the publication of the idea on March 30!
Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all today!

TTFN,
Mark