Subject: Eddie and Pirates,bless them.
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:30:39 -0500

I Masnadieri della Mia Vita
It is around 1950. You visit your local (LP) record store and you  pick some
stuff.The Columbia Tucker Pag and the Rise/Jobin Carmen Exc.were my first.
The one day on the standee line appears a guy with a white label abr.set of
a 1939 Met Gioconda.
My friend went NUTSY!!! Ironic that it was an Eddy Smith set,the pirate
recording we ever heard of,and that very friend,Bob Fazio, inherited his
collection!
Eventually we heard of some new names like Gencer,Olivero,Zeani,
Kabaiwanska,and some popular ones like Corelli,Tebaldi,Tucker. HOWEVER,
these were LIVE performances from all over the world. I recall
Plishka,Boyajian,Gratale and I sitting in the backyard where someone had
found (horrendous sound) that there existed an Aida where Maria takes E
Flat!!! What? Who issued this?

Little by little,from all over the world,plus those sneaky people who taped
live, came hundreds of live stuff, and the singers LOVED it...they could be
shown in live perf.,and more people got to know them. Galvany still owes me
a fortune as her unpaid agent. Singers asked us "crooks" to tape them live,
and I love the story of Caballe waiting for her next encore so her friend
could turn over the cassette.

I also loved Leyla Gencer autographing my "illegal catalogue card.

So, how come we are not in jail?  Because they loved this stuff...and we are
forever indebted to people like the late Eddy Smith,my buddy Bob Fazio, and
the DUE RIVALI Mr.Tape and dear Ed.

 Also,we loved the Stefan Zucker radio show, which brought a mixture of
opera and...I'll use the word, "spice."

 I myself have over a million and a half "hits" on my world-wide podcasts.
The pirates spread the word all over the opera globe....Maybe we are kind of
"Robin Hoods" (without Claude Rains).

  Thanks,Ed, for bringing opera to so many and we will miss you...Love  Charlie