Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera - Rossini's "Otello"
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:05:25 +0000

I really like Rossini's opera lot, and have a great admiration for it. MY only problem with it is that the use of tenors for all the leading roles can easily make one confused as to which character is singing. Why would Rossini write Iago for a tenor? Too many tenors! The music for Desdemona is sublime.
Les/Chicago