Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera - Rossini's "Otello"
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Dec 2016 18:19:44 -0500

Sometimes true, lol. I do know that I always looked forward to those intermission talks.
The commentaries on the operas were often so insightful - especially when I didn't know
the opera of the afternoon very well - but also when I did.

And for a new broadcast piece, such as L'Amour De Loin, we undoubtedly would have had
someone like Crutchfield giving us some specific musical insight into the piece. They might
have even tried to do it as a pre-curtain feature, or they might have done it the previous
week, so that people would be a little more familiar with what they were *about* to hear.
As nice as it was to hear Saariaho and Maalouf interviewed on the broadcast/HD, they
obviously didn't have the ability to go into any real depth (as is usual in the current
format).

Ah, well...