Subject: Re: CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR 2016, L'Elisir
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Dec 2016 13:37:10 -0500

The 1967 performance from Firenze with Scotto, Bergionzi, Taddei
and Cava, conducted by Gavazzeni, is about as perfect as this stuff
ever gets. I own it on the Opera d'oro label, and it is in studio quality
sound. Scotto and Bergonzi were ideally suited to their roles and to
each other. Their musical instincts were among the most remarkable
in my experience. Even at the end of their amazing careers, when voice
did not always do their bidding, innate musicianship saved the day
in breathtaking ways.

1967 was a very good year in every way!

Bob