Subject: Re: Salome
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2016 13:38:56 -0500

Not really. It says, word for word, that he turns and *sees* Salome. ("Se retournant et
voyant Salome.") Obviously it's clear that his command is to be acted upon Salome, but
there's no reason why it couldn't be said in Herodias' direction, just to rub it in, as Ryan
suggested. We know who he's talking about.

And if you think about it, the most obvious direction of the line would be to the soldiers -
he's giving *them* the command to kill her, after all. Again, we know  - and they know -
who he's talking about. ;-)

(Interesting that the opera's libretto only says "sich umwendend" - turning around - and
leaves out Wilde's specifics that he sees Salome. But again, it's already pretty obvious
what's going on, and we know who he's singing about.)