Subject: Hearty precedents to Marilyn Horne
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:56:33 -0800

THE singer who was responsible for the Rossini revival, and injected more
personality and brilliance into her singing than any other mezzo of her
generation - shucks, every other mezzo until Bartoli - is Conchita
Supervia. Her Rossini recordings are priceless, her Spanish repertoire and,
yes, Mozart incomparable. The best transfers are on Marston, but out of
print Pearl discs are a second choice. She recorded a huge amount in the
early electrical era before dying during childbirth while still in her
prime. A fascinating comparison is between her rendition of Manuel de
Falla's *Siete canciones populares españolas *and that of a late career
Maria Barrientos, accompanied by de Falla. There's also a film, available
from Bel Canto, in which she makes a cameo appearance singing Musetta's
Waltz. Delicious.

Jason Victor Serinus     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA

Modify your settings: