Subject: Re: Marilyn Horne, a "hearty" singer
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:22:43 +0000

Marilyn Horne was certainly one of the greatest singers of the Twentieth Century. She revived a type of singing that had been long forgotten and her legacy in Rossini has been basic and fundamental. From Horne, came the sprouts that evolved in Bartoli, diDonato, Florez, Osborn, Brownlee, etc. Horne's legacy to opera is secure, to be sure. A great lady, and a very funny one. Saw her many times and she never ceased ti anaze me. Still does. Also, her singing of Mahler, Schubert, Copeland, as well as those of the French and Spanish composers are highly persuasive.
I loved the voice, the style, and the entire "package".

Les