Subject: Re: Marilyn Horne, a "hearty" singer
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:51:06 -0700

She won the Rossini Medaglia d'Oro in Italy and a lifetime achievement
Grammy award among many others.  I always remember seeing her in Rinaldo in
Chicago when her exit boat tipped over and she stayed on it holding onto
the mast as it slowly fell below the dock only to return from the wings,
hands victoriously over her head still in the military uniform informing us
all that she was OK.  Way back when she was the voice of Dorothy Dandrige
in Carmen Jones.  I have an early recording of her when she was still a
lyric soprano in the Respighi's Laud to the Nativity.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.