Subject: Re: Pol Plancon sings Cantique de Noel
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Dec 2016 22:02:53 -0800

Well taste is taste and there's no arguing about it. We all like what we
like and no defense is necessary.

I was disappointed with Florez's Cantique de Noel. I played it for my wife
and we both, being Florez fans, were surprised at how unsteady it is, there
is a beat in his voice, but also he lacks the rock solid control the aria
demands. If not Plancon, then listen to Caruso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XPZRI4L5H8

Or Thill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8G_LyYlso

I don't think Florez is in the league of either.  Historically Plancon was
a giant, Caruso supposedly complained that he was 'too perfect" but I once
speculated on the list that if he were on the stage today, he wouldn't
appeal to a modern audience. He's far too cultivated, elegant, light
voiced, he is from a period before Verismo (which is ingrained in all
singing today, even when those singers are doing stuff like Bellini or even
Handel) and I'm positive that Plancon along with his colleagues including
both De Reszkes, Battistini, Melba, Patti, Calve, etc etc would flop today
if they were magically transported in their prime to stand and sing at the
Met today. I daresay that someone like Patricia Racette would probably be
preferred to Emma Eames.

But it's all guessing. Kind of like wondering if Babe Ruth could get a hit
today off of Clayton Kershaw. Fun stuff.

Happy Holidays to all!

James Camner