Subject: Re: Salome
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Dec 2016 17:11:52 -0500

I thought the star today was the orchestra. Wonderful playing, really bringing out the many
odd, inventive colors and nuances in the score.

It does bother me when tenors "fake" too much of Herod - I'd say today's tenor did pretty
well with the role. I didn't like his yelling the last line, though.

I wanted to like Racette, but yes, that wobble on top just defeats her, which makes for
tough going. She's not *singing* the role as much as she's *getting through it*. Her heart
is in it, but her vocal limitations get too much in the way of a fully realized, nuanced,
memorable take on the role.

That said, I imagine that the "close up" on her voice in the audio transmission might tend
to amplify the problems we in "radio land" hear on top - maybe they're not quite as
evident all the time in the house. But I can't say for sure.