Subject: "Greatest Opera Between Monteverdi and Mozart"?
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Dec 2016 15:22:14 -0500

Mark Berry wrote:

>"The greatest of Gluck’s operas? Certainly. The greatest opera between
Monteverdi and Mozart? Quite probably (give or take a *Dido and
Aeneas*)... *Iphigénie
en Tauride* remains an incredible experience."

Iphigenie en Tauride was premiered in 1779. It is thus only seven years
before The Marriage of Figaro.... and a full 136 years after Poppea.

I think most contemporary musicologists would reject this canon-centered
perspective on historical time.

(As an aside - I really don't like Gluck....)

Modify your settings: