Subject: Re: R.I.P. Robert White- a memorial
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:15:44 -0500

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:15:57 -0500, Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

But surely SOMEONE on this list
>has saved Robert's opera  commentaries.  Is there any chance that such a
>person would be willing to  organize ALL his commentaries  (or at least all of
>those  available) into some sort of "compendium," to be shared  eventually
>with the entire list?

Well, they are "saved" in the Opera-L archives. That's actually the kind of thing I like to
do, but it'd be quite a bit of work, so I'm not making any promises. Here's what seems to
be his first weekly listing here, from Sun, 30 Mar 2008:

"Sirius - week of 31 March 2008

For some weeks I posted on  the Yahoo group moderated by Elizabeth Michel, but for
whatever reason that group did not take off.  Then I got busy, and despite literally
1 or 2 nice comments, priorities intervened.   Now that we have had more than 433
archival brodcasts appear thought i would take another look. I will  try to make it
more convenient showing all repeats for the week together with less commentary but
reflecting what bubbles to the top of my list.  What a smorgasbjord!!!!

Don Giovanni - 3/3/1973  Maag: Siepi,Moser,Lorengar,Shirley, Flagello,Elias,Uppman,
       The first Siepi Don to be broadcast in the Sirius series, mighty Cesare had
11 broadcasts of the role between 1952 and 1973.  Lorengar and Moser are
under-represented on commercial recordings,  but both fine Mozarteans; this
is also George Shirley's final broadcast, and along with Simon Estes, they
are the only African American males to have had any significant (leading
roles, broadcasts) role at the Met so far.  Two other Siepi Don Giovanni
broadcasts are urgently requested:  the 1957 under Karl Bohm with the new
production cast (Steber, Della Casa, Peters, Peerce for Valletti in the
broadcast, Corena) and the 1967 also under Bohm with the most potent bass
clef for the final scene in the history of the opera (Siepi, Flagello (in his
prime which this 1973 isnt), Giaiotti plus Sutherland and Lorengar);  the
1978 telecast  and subsequent broadcast should be revisited for Julia
Varady's only Met appearances and fine ones as Elvira and a very young but
juicy of voice James Morris along with Sutherland again.

This will be on Sirius  3/31/08 at 3pm,  4/3/08 at 9 AM, and Sunday 4/5 at 6AM (all
Parsifal - 4/14/79   Levine; C. Ludwig, Vickers, Weikl, Talvela, Shinall, Plishka

Sirius' listing wants to have VIckers conduct and sing. This must have been on
before (all the Rhapsody choices have), but i missed it.  In any case, VIckers only
has 2 Parsifal broadcasts, and while I prefer Moll on the 1985 (not yet on
Sirius!!!!!), this is very much a performance to treasure.  He did not record the
role commercially, and his Bayreuth and London performances are well worth searching
out.  This 1979 performance also has optimum Weikl who is among the best of postwar
Amfortases.  Ludwig is well known for her Solti commercial as well as the two Kundry
RCA release from Vienna.
In addition to the 1985 with Rysanek referred to  I would make a pitch for the 1954
Hans HOtter Met farewell (:) with Svanholm and Varnay, 1966 Crespin  under Pretre,
and 1971 with Siepi's glorious Gurnemanz -- if not quite the liquid gold of Moll in
his prime, Siepi shows his excellence was not limited to Mozart and the standard
Italian rep.

On Sirius  4/1/08 at 9AM, 4/3/08 at 3PM, and 4/5/08 at 9PM (Sirius has the 5th and
6th reversed)
Faust  (The Met on Record)(1951)  This has been referred to on the list, and while
Steber is not much known for her Marguerite, her complete commercials are infrequent
enough to make this a listen, and of course for Siepi's Mephistopheles, for my money
the best postwar performance of this role.  This recording is particularly important
as he did not document this commercially.  He does have  6 broadcasts and 3 of which
are HIGH priority for rebroadcast on Sirius:  1950 with Kirsten,Bjorling,Guarrera,
1959 with Soderstrom, Bjorling, and Merrill (both of these feature sensationsl JB
performances as well) and 1969 with Lorengar, Gedda, and Merrill.  Though Siepi's
French style is fine, the Met may not be Academie Francaise, but Bjorling and
Merrill are Rolls Royce (or should I say Citroen) for me anytime.

On Sirius 4/6 at 9PM

Elektra 2/27/99   Levine (though again Sirius thinks Schnaut is conducting as well
as singing), Voigt, Schwarz, Pederson

Schnaut's voice was not always the most beautiful (I'm diplomatic at 5am )but she
could have a propulsive way about her.  I want to see how my ears respond to this 9
years later.  Amazingly, Elektra was not broadcast in the Johnson regime (1936-1950)
at all
2 revivals (one paired with Gianni Schicchi and the other with the Met premiere of
Menotti's Amelia goes to the ball).  In urgent need of Sirius rebroadcasting is the
return to the repertory in 1952 with Reiner in the pit and Hongen, Schoeffler, and
Svanhold offering top tier support. I've heard this performance and have no memories
of Wegner, but Varnay and Reiner are the draws, and all should have the chance to
hear again.
Also recommended is the 1971 for Bohm's only Met traversal with Nilsson in far
fresher form than the telecast return, and Madeira's farewell. She's a fine
Klytemnestra (and recorded it with Bohm on DG); the next Elektra broadcast is of
interest with the comet Ursula Schroder-Feinen in the title role and Varnay moving
down to Klytemnestra with Roberta Knie making her Met debut as Chrysothemis.

On Sirius:  4/1/08 at 6AM; 4/3/08 at Midnight; 4/5/08 at 9AM
Sirius is going through the 1975 Ring under Ehrling.  Rheingold is on this week, but
this interests others more than me (McIntyre's efforts better caught in the Chereau
filming); Ehrling gets better as the cycle goes along and Rintzler is not in a class
with Kelemen, Wlaschiha, let alone Neidlinger.

On Sirius: 3/31/08 at Midnight, 4/2//08 at 6AM, 4/4/08 at Noon, 4/6/08 at 6PM

Falstaff  1/23/65     Rosenstock; Tucci, Evans, Sereni, Resnik, Raskin, Shirley,

My memory of Rosenstock in this piece is not strong.  It is Geraint Evans only Met
broadcast of the part.  Vocally it's a very fine cast, but Falstaff is ALWAYS about
the conductor.  My nomination of not yet broadcast is 1972 with Gobbi, Tebaldi,
Paskalis, Resnik under Christoph von Dohnanyi.

On Sirius  3/31/08 at Noon; 4/4/08 at 9am; 4/5/08 at 6PM
Valued repeats this week are Macbeth (Rysanek,Warren, Bergonzi), Don Pasquale
(Netrebko,Alaimo, Florez, Kwiecien), Norma (Caballe, Cossotto), La Juive, Lombardi
(Pavarotti, Flanigan, Plishka-- Flanigan not ideal but parts of the work are always
worth hearing).

Of the 2008 live performances this week Ernani (i can never get enough) and Gambler
interest me the most.

I'm curious if there are any regular Rhapsody users on the list.  I just havent had
time to deal with that ."

Modify your settings: