Subject: Re: "la favorite" vs "la favorita"
From: George Rios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:57:08 -0500

In the early 80s I took a native Italian friend to see the Italian version DON CARLO at the
Met.  I asked her if she could understand all the words, and she said she could the majority
of the time.  She added, "But it's not really good Italian ... it's very unnatural".  I asked her
if perhaps this wasn't just that it's supposed to be "period" Italian.  She said she recognized
that it was meant to be a sort of formal, theatrical Italian but even so it just didn't flow well,
and many times the wrong syllables were accented, so it just sounded clumsy.  She added,
"The words in LA BOHEME and RIGOLETTO flow very naturally ... this was just frequently bad
Italian".