Subject: Re: Marilyn Horne, a "hearty" singer
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:40:22 -0500

I agree about Horne in general. ;-) And though I know some people hate it, I love her
"machine gun" approach to coloratura. It's not something that would work for most
singers, perhaps, but it seems to fit her. Particularly, of course, in the more comic rep.

You've strung 2 of those Copland songs together, lol - the one about the animals is not
also the "Ching A Ring Chaw" one.

The *slower* Copland songs tend to come off best - and yes, Horne does great by those. I
confess I've never heard *any* classical singer who sounds the least bit comfortable in the
uptempo settings like the ones you mentioned. Copland's arrangements of those are, IMO,
hopelessly square and stiff, and would probably sound a bit better in the voice of a true folk
singer than in the more round, "cultured" tone of a recitalist. (I remember doing that
ridiculous Ching A Ring Chaw song in high school chorus as well - it just always sounded so
phony and stilted and twee - I think it's very hard to make these songs playful and breezy
and honest in the way I'm sure Copland would have hoped for. But I think he just didn't
have the right touch for that.)

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:14:22 -0500, Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>And Horne is positively brilliant in those hearty Copland songs like I bought me a cat and
that one that sounds like Ching a ring chaw or something like that.