Subject: Marilyn Horne, a "hearty" singer
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:14:22 -0500

I posted this earlier, but go no "bites."

Definition of hearty: "a hearty and boisterous character"

synonyms:
exuberant, jovial, ebullient, cheerful, uninhibited, effusive, lively, loud, animated,vivacious, energetic, spirited, dynamic, enthusiastic, eager;

Any singers who vocally and/or interpretively, can one (yes, I know, vague and subjective, but I am going with a feeling here) claim are hearty?

I was thinking of Marilyn Horne. Even John Steane is perhaps grasping at this descriptor when he claims Horne's singing lacks "inner tension" in her "tender, spirited" big aria from Fidelio. Even her Carmen some have claimed is more jovial than threatening. Like almost too healthy rather than defiant or dangerous or proud.

And Horne is positively brilliant in those hearty Copland songs like I bought me a cat and that one that sounds like Ching a ring chaw or something like that.

Aunt Eller in Oklahoma, "You've gotta be hearty."