Subject: Re: L'Amour de Loin
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:27:50 -0500

I gave it twenty minutes; a waste of time.  Maybe it's a generational
thing, but  I "got" DIE MEISTERSINGER instantly, or at least what was
avilailable of it when I was about 18, including the entire third act
magnificently recorded complete in the late thirties by Karl Bohm.
The great Beecham recording of ZAUBERFLOTE, complete, was also
no trouble for me around the same time, nor was PARSIFAL from the
live Knappertsbusch performance of 1951.  It was, for me, the Italian
works of Verdi, Mozart, and even Puccini, that had to wait, though I now
regard the latter as the foremost Italian composer of anything, ever.  As
for Handel; he's still waiting.

There will be exceptions taken, I know, to this kind of venting, at this
particular time; some don't approve of it at any time.  But it's always
been, as Robert White's invaluable contributions were, one of the perennial
pleasures of this forum.  We all like to sort of "profile"ourselves in this
manner, to be a little provocative, boastful, apologetic,  or contentious,
and compare the differences.   Anymore?

dtmk