Subject: Re: L'Amour de Loin
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 00:59:15 +0000

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to express something close to glee about one's inability to appreciate music others praise? That seems incomprehensible to me. So contrary to my own attitude and experience. For example, it took me 20 years to learn to love MEISTERSINGER--I just could not get a handle on a six-hour diatonic Wagnerian comic opera about Bavaria. But never in that time did I doubt it was a great piece of music, or stop looking for an opportunity to turn the corner. Then one year I had a breakthrough. Handel opera still eludes me, though I sometimes enjoy the pyrotechnics, but I do not going around saying Mozart or Verdi are better.

Andy Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ