Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: Clarissa Cheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Dec 2016 20:30:15 -0500

What I find interesting is the history of Rossini's Otello after it was
first performed 200 years ago in 1816 at the theatre Fondo in Naples with
singers Isabella Colbran and Nozzari. Rossini was in his prime and Otello
proved to be one of the many popular Rossini's operas he created. Maria
Malibran sang it everywhere, Italy, Paris, London even in New York during
the 1820s-30s. Verdi must have seen it in Milan or other Italian houses as
it was played there countless times.(See Fantan's bibliografia dei libretti
d'opera Rossini).

Verdi's Otello did not obliterate Rossini work, it seemed to have faded from
the popular opera repertoire sometime before the entry of Verdi's
masterpiece in 1887. Francis Toye wrote in his book long before the Rossini
200 revival, that Otello would never be seen again. However, from time to
time it is seen and revived. The presentation of the opera sung by Chris
Merritt, and Rocky Blake, June Anderson at Pesaro in 1988 had a
great success and started a revival of the work, in several countries, with
some of the same artists. I was lucky enough to enjoy the superb Nice,
France performances and then in Chicago etc.

Must say I agree that Verdi's version is rather depressing, that is one of
the reasons I pick Rossini's vivid and exciting opera as my favourite. I do
love the play! Coming from a theatrical family, at 12 years old my Mother
bought me a ticket to Othello shown by the Old Vic Shakespeare Co in
England- it was an unforgettable evening.

As for Shakespeare operas. Verdi's Macbeth is thrilling. One of Verdi's
great early works...I remember Elizabeth Connell and a great cast in Rome,
and then Grace Bumbry later in LA, not so great. Macbeth was one of Renato
Bruson's finest roles.

Cheers,

Clarissa Lablache Cheer