Subject: Re: Festivus music, or what-have-you
From: Suzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:29:36 +0000

________________________________
Hi, list.

My selections for seasonal music might be reflective of my childhood, most of which took place in the sixties. I make no apologies.

It's Christmastime all over the world  sung by Sammy Davis

Caroling, caroling
Star Carol
and anything by Alfred Burt, the above two sung by Anna Maria Alberghetti

Amahl and the Night Visitors (not exactly a song, but definitely musical-either the original cast, which is, now, happily available on DVD or the Teresa Stratas, Robert Sapolsky version, on VHS. The original cast recording is on CD, but I do not know about the Stratas score.)

Blue Christmas sung by Elvis

Hallelujah Chorus by Handel (in which I sing every year)

The Christmas Song sung by just about anybody

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas sung by Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis

Christmas Day, by Hal David and Burt Bacharach, from Promises, Promises (in context of show, a throwaway-on its own, hauntingly beautiful chorale).

Wir eilen from Jesu der du meine seele, Cantata #78 by Bach, not, strictly speaking, a Christmas song, but it has angels hastening, so therefore, is apropos, sung by Edith Mathis and Sybil Michelow

and a nod to Chanuka and Kwanzaa:
I Want a Harmonica for Hanukkah (cannot recall composer/lyricist)
Adam Sandler's Chanuka Song
O Kwanzaa by Teresa Jennings

and:
Christmas Ain't no time to be a Jew (written by my sister, Rowena Hess)

Most of the above are available on youtube, including my sister's ditty (which was prompted by an aborted visit to the Holocaust Museum which closed early because it was Christmas Eve!)

Happy Holidays, Festivus, Christmas, Kwanzaa, etc etc etc

Suzy